Home YSF » YSF Applications
Key dates for the 17th FEBS YSF
YSF/Congress abstract submission opening: January 3, 2017
YSF application deadline: March 24, 2017
Announcement of YSF award winners: April 27, 2017
17th FEBS YSF: September 7−10, 2017
42nd FEBS Congress: September 10−14, 2017
Support from FEBS
FEBS will provide financial support for participation in the YSF and the ensuing Congress to those selected to take part in the YSF, via YSF grants. YSF grants in 2017 can only be used to support participation in the 17th YSF and 42nd FEBS Congress, and those selected must attend both the YSF and the Congress. Grants will cover registration and accommodation in shared rooms (for both events) and up to 80% of the travel costs to Jerusalem. Awards will only be made to support travel from the applicant’s current country of residence in the FEBS area to Jerusalem. The amount awarded will be based on the distance travelled and the most affordable options.
Eligibility criteria for the 17th FEBS YSF
PhD students and postdoctoral fellows are welcome to submit applications if they fulfil all of the following criteria. Applicants should:
- be up to 35 years of age, except if studies were started later, or were delayed by maternity leave (18 months per child), prolonged illness or other personal reasons
- be registered as a PhD student at an institute of higher learning in a country where there is a FEBS Constituent Society or be a postdoctoral scientist within five years of having completed a PhD thesis, working in a country where there is a FEBS Constituent Society
- submit a single abstract to the 17th YSF and 42nd FEBS Congress as first author. Both events should be attended.
- be a member of a FEBS Constituent Society
- have not received a grant from FEBS to attend a YSF in recent years*, a FEBS YTF award to attend a FEBS Advanced Course or Workshop in 2017, or a bursary to attend the FEBS Congress in 2017
*Applicants accepted for the YSF in 2016 in Turkey, which was cancelled, may submit an application for participation in the 17th YSF in 2017; this will be considered anew with other applications by the 17th YSF Organizing Committee.
How to apply
Applicants should apply through the Congress registration system by,
- selecting the YSF Applicant option to create a registration order that will be valued at 0 Euros; and
- submitting an abstract as first author to one of the Congress abstract topics through the abstract submission form; and
- uploading the following supporting documents in a single file during registration: CV, prepared according to the YSF template; Letter of recommendation; Proof of current membership of a FEBS Constituent Society; Letter of motivation.
All abstracts must contain original work that has not been published or presented identically on previous occasions; further guidelines are on the Call for Abstracts page. Abstracts submitted by YSF Applicants cannot be edited after the YSF application deadline.
To complete the registration order, select the YSF waiver as payment method. Until the announcement of YSF evaluation results, YSF applicants' registration/participant status will be held as pending.
N.B. Unsuccessful YSF applicants will be able to switch participant types in the Congress registration system after the results of evaluation are announced in late April, and also consider applying for a bursary ahead of the May 4, 2017 bursary application deadline.
Application and abstract assessments and outcomes
Applications to the 17th YSF will be assessed by the 17th YSF Organizing Committee and Chair of the FEBS Working Group on the Careers of Young Scientists. All successful applicants will present their work at the YSF as posters and 1-min talks. In addition all abstracts of successful applicants will be considered for possible oral presentations of 10-15 min during the YSF program. Outcomes will be notified on April 27, 2017.
Abstracts from successful YSF applicants are also included in the ensuing FEBS Congress. If you are interested in oral presentation opportunities at the Congress, please answer 'yes' to a question on this in the abstract submission system. Assessment for this will be carried out by the Congress Organizing Committee and is independent of selection categories at the YSF. Outcomes on this option will be communicated by the Congress organizers by June 1, 2017.